From Sarah Palin’s acceptance speech:
As the story is told, “When McCain shuffled back from torturous interrogations, he would turn toward Moe’s door and flash a grin and thumbs up” — as if to say, “We’re going to pull through this.” My fellow Americans, that is the kind of man America needs to see us through these next four years.
So, basically, we’re all gonna get tortured for the next four years, but every once in a while John McCain will give us a thumbs up and say, “It’ll all be over soon!”
Ms. Palin delivered a good speech. I’ll give her that. The hockey-mom/pitbull joke had crackerjack timing. My lovely wife made a good point, though: We’ve been waiting to hear this woman tell us something about herself, and so we were all riveted as she ran through her biography. She has certainly led an interesting life. She wavered some when she got into the policy part of the speech, however.
I also thought it was condescending to an extraordinary degree. Suddenly being a community organizer is a career of which one should be ashamed. And apparently nobody heard Obama’s promise last week to lower taxes for ninety-five percent of the population. I thought she was inappropriately snarky, sarcastic and jokey. But it certainly killed in that convention hall.
And then here comes McCain, pulling an Obama and popping out onstage at the end. Is it just me, or is Sarah Palin physically repelled by McCain? You can see her ick factor go up every time he stepped near her. Hilarious.
I like how the Republicans completely ignore Obama’s six years as an Illinois State Senator and focus on the Community Organizer thing. Well played. Obama needs to let everybody know he’s been a public servant for over a decade.
We’ll know who is in the lead by Next Wednesday.
Ah, but Republicans only care about the 5% who Obama WILL raise taxes on. The other 95% can pay higher prices for everything, watch the dollar deflate, and have babies they don’t want — and they’ll like it.
I read that part of Palin’s speech as backhanded in a different way. I think she’s implying we need someone with McCain’s optimism… since we’re in Bush’s America, which is comparable to being tortured.
Her speech was insanely WASPy and creepy to anyone who cares about fellow human beings more than money. But yes, she delivered it with skill.